Universities Portal

Universities Portal serves as a platform for all the students from around the world, who are willing to pursue their higher education in a university of their choice.  Our team consists of faculty members, alumni and students from prestigous universities.  

Why to study in Canada?

  Canada is a huge and diverse country. Geographically, you should know this, but it sits in above the USA, making it perfect for exploring a little further. Canada itself is full of famous tourist attractions, such as the powerful Niagara Falls, the huge CN Tower, Toronto Zoo, the beautiful Glacier National Park, the equally gorgeous Banff National Park, and the imposing Canadian Rockies, to name a few. The huge blinding cities of Quebec, Montreal and Toronto offer everything you could possibly want from life, with city life running seamlessly into nature. It’s beautiful. With a huge range of landscapes, from massive mountains, to green vegetation, to snow capped hills, to bustling metropolis, the choice is endless. Of course, the Rockies are famous the world over.
Canada has two official languages – French and English, so study in Canada is the perfect opportunity to add another language to your repertoire, which is vital in the business world and a huge advantage. And with two national languages, universities in Canada are experts in language studies.
Higher education in USA

Canadian universities are known for being consistently high quality and for offering internationally accepted degrees and credentials; some are ranked in the top 100 by reputable sources as The Times Higher Education Supplement and Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Over 10,000 undergraduate and graduate degree programs are offered at more than 100 institutions nationwide—and, tuition is generally much lower than in other leading study abroad countries. Students can pursue their studies at one of Canada’s top universities for roughly half of what it would cost to attend an equally reputable program at a private US university.
International students can expect to be assisted in their university studies by such resources and services as orientation sessions, support programs, academic advising, prayer rooms, safewalk programs, student clubs, and assistance with medical concerns or housing issues.
International students can often work while they study, taking advantage of many cooperative education and internship opportunities. There are also immigration programs that international students may qualify for post-graduation.
The high quality of Canadian university education is further enabled by membership in the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) and provincial government charters.
Admission requirements & Application

Though admission process and requirements vary from institution to institution in Canada, here we'll discuss about the most general procedures and requirements to get admission in Canadian Universities or Colleges.
Applying for undergraduate studies
Undergraduate requirements depend on the type of institution one chooses, this is usually in form of prerequisites and assessments guiding the processes involved in a certain University or College to offer an academic degree, which varies in different ways depending on if the student is a foreigner or a permanent resident.

For admission into undergraduate level, student must have completed twelve years of academic education, but for postgraduate level it is sixteen years. Below you can find undergraduate requirements for most Canadian Tertiary Institutions.

All applicants into undergraduate programs must submit:

  •  A completed application form;
  • An official high school transcript (or attested copy) (if applicable);
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (if any);
  • A detailed chronological résumé to demonstrate educational    achievements, work experience, progression, community involvement,  volunteer experience, and other related experience; and
  • A Letter of Intent (LOI) that clearly explains why the applicant is applying  and outlines the student’s academic intentions.
  • ​Proof of English language proficiency.




Applying for postgraduate studies

Graduate requirements depend on the type of institution student chooses. This is usually in form of prerequisites and assessments guiding the processes involved in a certain university to offer an academic Master’s degree or further studies, which varies in different ways depending on if the student is a foreigner or a permanent resident.

Below you can find the general graduate requirements for most institutions In Canada.
  • A completed application form;
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended;
  • Official documentation confirming professional designations, where applicable;
  • Two (2) letters of academic reference attesting to readiness for graduate studies; For those without recent academic experience, letters from employers attesting to level of experience and analytical writing skills will be acceptable;
  • A detailed chronological resume clearly outlining educational achievements, work experience and progression, and other related experience;
  • A Letter of Intent (LOI) that clearly explains why the applicant is applying and outlines the student’s academic intentions.

Applicants who completed undergraduate studies outside Canada must also submit:
  • Documentation confirming their degree was awarded, if not already indicated on official transcripts;
  • A credential evaluation from a recognized service confirming equivalency if the applicant submits a credential from an unrecognized institution or if additional analysis is required by the Admissions Committee;
  • Proof of English language proficiency.

Note: Where transcripts are in a language other than English, the applicant must provide a notarized English translation of the original transcripts from a certified translator or on official letterhead stationery from the secondary school plus an official original transcript from the institution to the UCW Registrar.

Visa requirements


Be aware that an application for international study can be a slow process, and can take up to 7 weeks processing time. You need to be making your decision and getting your application off as soon possible.
Study abroad in Canada is of course a big thing, and requires plenty of thought, but it also requires a visa once you’ve decided for sure that this is the road you want to take. The visa you need to apply for is a student visa, or study permit, and you need your offer of acceptance from your chosen Canadian university to be able to kick start this process. You’ll also need your application fee, evidence that you are able to cover yourself financially during your time, such as to pay for tuition fees and day to day living costs, as well as a ticket home. Once this is sent off, you just need to sit and wait.
Character and health checks will be made during the processing time, which may include a police check, but it’s generally nothing to worry about.
It’s also worthwhile checking with your university about any extras that are needed, as Canada, being the huge country it is, has varying procedures throughout its 10 territories, so it’s always worth checking, to make sure any extras or variations are sorted out prior to your application. A form filled in wrong or document not sent off can delay your application, which if you’re applying for a popular course, could be the difference between you making it in or not.
 Accommodation and expenses 
  Compared to many countries, the cost of studying in Canada is very affordable. As a guide, you will likely need between $15,000 Cdn and $30,000 Cdn annually to cover tuition and living expenses. However, this cost range is an average only and will vary according to the institution and program in which you are enrolled, your location, and living choices.
Your average costs of living per month are likely to be around CA$600-800 (~US$450-600) for food and other expenses, not including accommodation, which will be your largest expenditure after tuition fees. Living expenses including accommodation in Canada are likely to be approximately CA$10,000-15,000 per year (~US$7,550-11,300). Living costs are generally more expensive in the biggest cities.

Typically you will be spending about CA$3,000-$6,000 (~US$2,240-4,500) each year on accommodation, which is likely to be towards the more expensive end if you live on campus in student accommodation. If you would like a cheaper option, you may consider living off-campus, but remember to take into account any extra costs of travelling to and from your university. Sharing off-campus housing with other students can also make accommodation more affordable.

If you’re under 18 (or 19 in the provinces of British Columbia, Nova Scotia and the Northwest Territories) you must live with a host family in a homestay, which may be arranged by your university. At approximately CA$650-800 (~US$490-600) a month, this could be another fairly affordable option, particularly as your host family is likely to provide you with meals at no extra cost.

Here are some examples of average living costs in Canada:
  • Eating out at a restaurant: CA$10-15 per person (~US$8-11)
  • One-way ticket on local public transport: CA$3 (~US$2)
  • Loaf of bread: CA$2.80 (~US$2)
  • Cinema ticket: CA $12.25 (~US$9)
Originality is the essence of true scholarship. Creativity is the soul of the true scholar.
Nnamdi Azikiwe
  Homestays (University Provided Accommodation)

Many Canadian families welcome international students. Homestays offer a more stable and secure environment for younger people coming to study in Canada.

Typically, a homestay consists of a Canadian family hosting a student in their home while the student attends classes in Canada. Meals and a private furnished room are provided in the home, and the host family welcomes and encourages participation in family and community activities.

Homestays are arranged by the school and students are matched with families who share similar interests.

Residence / Dormitory (University Provided Accommodation)

Many universities have accommodation conveniently located on or near their campus. Rooms can vary in size and in quality, and many dormitories have shared kitchens, toilets, showers and laundry facilities.

There is usually an option of having either a shared or private room, and dormitories are usually separated by gender. In some cases, there are cafeterias and meal plans that can be included in the cost of the room. Most dormitories come furnished, and are an ideal way to become involved in campus activities and meet other students.

Off-Campus Housing

Renting is an option open to international students coming to Canada. Many students share accommodation to keep costs down and usually find places to meet their needs and preferences.

Many schools offer an off-campus housing service, which can provide affordable listings that are near the campus. At this service centre, those seeking shared accommodations can also find roommates. Once on campus, students will often find a variety of postings throughout the campus advertising nearby housing, but it is always best to make arrangements before coming to Canada.

There are different types of places international students can rent in Canada. A house is usually too expensive for one student to rent, but many students share or rent suites (a self-contained unit with a kitchen, toilet, bath and bedroom) within a larger home. Apartments are another option, where one has a kitchen, toilet, bath, and one or two bedrooms. Most rental apartments do not include furniture or meals. Some, however, include the cost of heat and/or electricity in the rent.
 Student jobs and internships
You may work on campus at the institution where you study without a work permit if:
you are a full-time student at:
  • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university,     or a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec or
  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 per cent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or
  • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees and
you have a valid study permit.
You must stop working on-campus on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student.)

Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies.

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:
  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions 
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer               holidays or spring break.
To qualify, you must:

  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.
You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student during an academic session.)

"Im starting to gain a good insight in to how the industry works already"- Mark

Nnamdi Azikiwe

"Always laugh when you can, it is a cheap medicin"

Tuition fees, living costs & funding
Universities in Canada set their own fees, and these vary depending on several factors: what program you’re studying, whether you are an international or home student, and whether you’re studying at undergraduate or postgraduate level. Tuition fees are currently most expensive in the province of Ontario, according to a recent report from Stats Canada. If you’re a Canadian citizen studying in Canada, you can expect to pay an average of CA$6,000 (~US$4,534) per year for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Undergraduate tuition fees in Canada

Average tuition fees in Canada for international undergraduate students start at about CA$14,000 (~US$10,730) per year. Arts and humanities courses tend to be cheaper, while subjects such as engineering and medicine are among the more expensive.

Postgraduate tuition fees in Canada

If you want to study at postgraduate level, the tuition fees are generally higher, and again vary depending on your program. As is the case worldwide, executive MBA programs are generally the most expensive, averaging around CA$42,000 (~US$32,000).
“Studying is something I really love doing, and I just hope to have enough money for tuition. ”
Alexandra Kosteniuk

Working in Canada after graduation

The job market

What are your chances of getting a job?

The Canadian graduate labour market is very competitive, so it may be difficult to get secure work. One of your best chances of finding work is to look for jobs in the Canadian shortage occupations list which would allow you to enter Canada as a federal skilled worker. However you would need proven skills and experience in the job role in question to qualify for this.

Some professions are regulated in Canada, which may mean you'll have to get your academic or professional qualifications accredited to be able to work in that role in the country.
It is useful if you have contacts in the job market in Canada as networking is an important part of the job hunting process. Fluency in French may also be required depending on the part of Canada in which you want to work.
Where can you work?

  • Major industries: service industries including transport, construction, banking, retail, tourism, healthcare and education; manufacturing covering paper, aerospace technology, cars, machinery, food and clothing; and natural resources including forestry, agriculture, mining and energy.
  • Recent growth areas: healthcare and social assistance sectors, manufacturing, and the petroleum sector.
  • Shortage occupations: medical professionals, including doctors, dentists, nurses, physiotherapists and audiologists; financial analysts and financial brokers; engineering, including civil, electrical and electronic, aerospace, mechanical and petroleum engineers. For a full list see Government of Canada: Federal Skilled Workers.
  • Major companies: Royal Bank of Canada, TD Bank Group, Bank of Nova Scotia, Bank of Montreal, Suncor Energy, BCE (telecommunications), Sun Life Financial, Canadian Natural Resources, Imperial Oil, CIBC, The Woodbridge Company (media) and the Canadian National Railway.

What’s it like working in Canada?

  • Average working hours: the standard hours of work under the Canada Labour Code are 8 hours in a day and 40 hours in a week.
  • Holidays: statutory holidays vary across provinces but there are nine at the national level. Annual leave is generally two weeks per year which increases to three weeks once you've worked with the same employer for six consecutive years.
  • Tax rates: foreign workers are subject to Canadian income tax rates, although special regulations apply for newcomers (immigrants) during the first tax year. You will usually need to file one tax return a year. Rates of tax vary across provinces but are typically on a sliding scale from 15% to 33% depending on your salary.


Meet the Team!

Our qualified team is always there to help you out.

  1. Sheza Javed
    Sheza Javed
    McGill University Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
    Ms. Sheza has rather an intellectual past. She has represented her country in several Maths and Physics international competitions.
  2. Javeriah Mirza
    Javeriah Mirza
    York University Dept. of Global Political Studies
    Ms. Javeriah is a world champion of scrabble. She is the most confident and diverse girl at work.